I’ve been holding off packing more dark syrup until the temperature drops a little, if the forecast holds, that will be next week. Right now the “experts” say we will have 4 days next week with the highs in the mid 70’s. I can pack syrup with that. It has been in the mid 80’s to upper 90’s for 2 months, this guy does poorly at those temps, especially when the dew points are in the 70’s (very humid).
As of 8/14/20 the forecast says next Tuesday, Thursday and Friday will be cool enough to pack more syrup. If the forecast doesn’t change I will have plenty of syrup after that. In preparation, I have placed the first stainless steel barrel which is full of Dark maple syrup, my best seller, in the sugarhouse from storage so it can be pumped and be processed. Thank you all for waiting.
My inventories in my store will reflect the additional syrup when it is ready for sale. After packing Dark, I will pack a barrel of Amber and then I will pack my next batch of Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup, it has been ready for a while, awaiting packing weather to return to central new your and CNY Maple.
Hopefully the temps will remain in the 70’s and lower so I can get more work done, when it’s in the 80’s-90’s I run out of ambition before lunch. It’s not like I was 30-50 years ago when I worked 8-14 hrs a day even with it in the 90’s.
My blueberry season ended yesterday. While fairly good it was less than most years for a couple of reasons. First was the drought that lasted about 6-7 weeks, into the first full week of picking. Then we had plenty of rain after that. The second reason was Covid 19, there were simply fewer pickers venturing out, which I pretty much expected. In the end we sold about half as many blueberries as usual, as of yesterday many berries that remained started dropping off the bushes so it was time to close the fields.
For any of you who did come pick, thank you, and I hope you stay healthy.
The forecast for tomorrow, 7/19/2020 is 97F, way too hot for me. Next week looks better, low to mid 80’s. I’m waiting for a day in the 60’s to low 70’s so I can pack more dark syrup. I haven’t run out yet, but I’m getting real low, both for online sales and at my local retail outlet. Cool weather, come on!
I used to pack syrup in temperatures in the mid to upper 70’s but that has proven to just be too hot because when I pack syrup I need to heat the batch to about 190-195 to filter it again (it was heated to 205-210F when it was originally pumped into the stainless steel barrel). Then it gets pumped into the bottler which is held at 185-187F during the bottling process. Setting in front of that for the 3-4 hrs it takes to fill all of the bottles and jugs that it requires to pack a full barrel of syrup just catches up with me before I get finished. My grandson used to help, but Uncle Sam has his full attention in the US Navy for about 4 more years. I likely should get an AC to cool the sugarhouse but I’m fighting it. I would need at least a 24,000BTU to cool it, maybe even bigger. Most years the longest I need to wait has been 7-10 days, this year we have been over 80 for more than 30 days in a row, and over 12 of those days have been 90 or higher. A day or two in the 60’s would please me right now, I actually have to pack a barrel of dark, a bourbon barrel of aged syrup and I’m getting low on Amber too.
On my Dark, Robust taste I have temporarily run low in stock. I will pack more as soon as we get a cooler day to work. I just can’t pack it with the outside temperatures in the 80’s-90’s and then work at the bottler with the syrup heated to 185-187F.
Please bear with me, a cool day will come.
We added an additional shipping option. I was talking with a fellow syrup maker and he said he uses a regional box for more local shipping. I tested it out with a half gal of syrup and just threw in 2 different zip codes. As you know, I am in central NY, I looked up the price of shipping it to Georgia, and one in California. The one in Georgia priced at about $5 less than a medium flat rate box, but the one to California was about $4.50 more than the medium flat rate box. Thus, this regional box will be a good choice for those in some cases but not for others who are farther away. Check it out, My program should use the lowest cost method, but verify the choice.
This new shipping option is the USPS regional Box B. Again, it will only help those who are closer to my location.
I would like to just take a moment to wish everyone a happy Easter and may all of you get thru this Covid 19 Pandemic. Stay safe and do all of your visiting with friends and family through a phone call or online visit.